Wednesday, December 5, 2012

I must have forgotten to paint Jack White......

While skimming the news and emails this morning as it's too early to use the pressure washer.. I came across an article on the Huffington Post.  Jack White apparently had big words and ideas on celebrity including a big artist, Lady Gaga.  (Gosh, I don't think he would appreciate my art either!) In the article he said..."The goal of modern celebrity is to make yourself into the lowest common denominator," said White. "'Hey, I'm a guy just like you. I like a beer, a football game.' Especially in reality television, you'll see people will go so far as to make a fool out of themselves just to prove that."
The drummer went on call out Lady Gaga for creating music that lacks substance.
"I don't think she lives it because it's all artifice" said White. "It's all image with no meaning behind it. You can't sink your teeth into it. It's a sound bite. It's very of this age, because that's what people want. They want a Twitter line, a jpeg, an MP3."
I love the comment, "It's all image... with no meaning behind it". This stirs a question in my head, Does it not take an idea that comes from a struggle or overwhelming sense of "meaning", to create an image that is so powerful and so well known?  Is it not up to the individual to have their own thoughts about what they think about an artist's "image"?  This concept one of the many elements why I painted Michael Jackson, Black or White.  Michael Jackson could be black white...or purple, and obviously no matter what he looked like his art... his power.. his "image" transcended his soul, why? Because it didn't matter.  Despite such a great icon's changing image... his body of work greatly impacted art, society, and music.  Beauty and talent can go far beyond an image.  Yet choosing a specific image or likeness to paint of such an icon can leave a mood or tone all on its own.
 
I am not sure about Jack White.. I didn't know who he was until a few days ago. I guess my fiancées hair style carried a likeness to his..
 
I wonder if he(Jack White) thinks that Lady Gaga's meat dress was merely a stylists choice... and that it was devoid of any meaning.  I wonder if the lowest common denominator when multiplied by 6 would be greater than the highest common denominator of Jack Whites definition of celebrity.  I am not sure, but I doubt Jack White is a Steeler fan.  
So many words in the big of it all!  That's what makes it so much fun.
MW

No comments:

Post a Comment