Tuesday, October 9, 2012

No Art on Wall Street


An article featured on October 5th 2012 in the Wall Street Journal, "How Can Capitalism Save Art?" talked about a major decline in the visual arts, and suggests that artists have lost touch with their general audience. The author suggests that it's high time that contemporary artists should admit that the avant garde is dead. He says that artists win attention by imitating once shocking images, such as "Piss Christ", by Andres Serrano.

I DO NOT AGREE AT ALL WITH THIS!! And, I further challenge...Does everyone think that avant garde by definition is to offend others? I thought avant garde meant; innovation of new applications, techniques and concepts? So my understanding is that no artists are being innovative in their concepts, techniques, and applications? I am not sure if I am going to write to this author, I doubt it, but I do disagree with the article. I would like to know what is a new idea? Who is it that judges? I think that there is a more relevant issue at hand and that is reception. This author possibly has never seen my work, and many other artists. We live in a new era, and you cannot judge what you did not see, or did not find. My work has not yet hung at the MET or MOMA, so the thoughts and ideas behind my simple images.. yes SIMPLE images, are I think, complex and challenging, relevant, and dare I say... NEW? How does one see them though, or find them? You have to capture people’s attention in an audience that tunes into "Jersey Shore, Octomom, Football, and the 2012 Presidential Election". People have to go to museums and galleries, but why would they? Can't you just see everything on Facebook? I think so far from what I have experienced and can somewhat relate to this article is what is missing not only in visual art, as well as society, is a bridge on the digestion of technology and its effect on society and everyday life. As a result, a disconnect in not only the way we perceive things but also the way we judge and conduct and condition our families and relationships.


The idea and understanding of the article reminded me of my bubble gum covered crucifix, and acrylic on canvas painting I did with an F resembling the infamous Facebook logo with religious symbols, and opened for exhibit on "Good Friday" this past Easter. There are some perhaps that viewed my work, and thought, sacrilege. A close friend asked me to remove one of my works of art, claiming that it was beyond insulting and disrespectful to their faith. Yet, they were only associating with their particular faith in the series, and missing maybe the whole point of the collection. I equate this with seeing a post on Facebook and reacting as if it solely is an attack on them only and their person. Once hearing me out, my friend respected my choice to keep my exhibit as is. Sometimes it takes a little more than we expected to shine light on something. We can't always just plug it in, and have the exposure we want. Time, tact, education, understanding, patience, and knowledge has to be involved.

With all of that swirling around in my brain, I found my fluorescent fixtures, and now have ordered 22, T-12, 40 watt, 48 inch black-lit fluorescent tubes, and now have to go to home depot to buy wood and wires to construct one of the many instruments that I need to create one of a kind works of art that I can share. All that happens before I even open the paint. Maybe we are accustomed to instant application, instant judgment, and have lost the ability to understand. Whatever the case may be, I sure hope UPS doesn't take too long, because it sure will be a relief once I can flip the switch on this saga, and let it shine.

Enjoy the big of it all....
MW

No comments:

Post a Comment